Monday, August 15, 2011

Ken Bates out, but at what price?!?



Saturday afternoon Leeds United played Middlesbrough in a home game in front of 25650 people, the game ended 0-1 and three players got sent off, which means that I could write a blog about poor referees or players out off control. But instead I have chosen to focus on a thing that happended before,during and after the game - the massive protests against our clubs owner, Mr Ken Bates.

Before the game a number of supporters, believed to be around 500-800, gathered at the Billy Bremner statue and protested against the way Ken Bates is running the club, "Build us a team, not a hotel" they yelled, among other things. I would have loved for Mr Bates to sign us more players to strengthen our side during the summer, but I do question these supporters idea... Making a protest on game day will have an effect on the 11 lads taking the field and trying to win us the game, there are numerous of examples hereoff, in Denmark where I live, Brondby fans have protested lots of times over the running of their club, and each time the players have responded badly and lost the game. Pointing at the new south stand and yelling the the Fabian Delph transfer money paid for that, true or not, is time spend not supporting the 11 players, or 9 as we ended up, on the pitch.

Unless we find a guy who is ready to put up the money to buy Leeds United, I don't believe that the protests will have much effect on Ken Bates, but I do believe that they have an effect on the players, and I am sad to say, that I think the effect it will have on them is a bad one! Off course they know that the boos and screams are not directed at them, but they still need our support - So my hope is, that even though many people don't appreciate Ken Bates, that they can leave that behind, and put the love and support first, for the good of Leeds United!

Because I do believe we will get there, with or without Ken Bates! M.O.T

And off script, Welcome home Andy Keogh!








No comments:

Post a Comment