Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New manager.. but when and who?







We all seem sure that a new manager is to be installed at ER sooner or later; even Warnock himself looks resigned to losing his job, whether it’s this week, next month or in the summer no one knows.

There seems to be three candidates that are primarily mentioned, Nigel Adkins, Gus Poyet & Paolo Di Canio. The thing they have in common is that they all play or at least would like to play the kind of football the fans at ER want, quick passing on the floor football, very much unlike the “hoofball” that Warnock shows us week in, week out.

My preferred choice, or rather the only of the three I’d ever like to see managing my club is Nigel Adkins, he’s proven at both out current level and was, in my opinion, on his way to keeping Southampton in the premiership before he, strangely enough, was sacked. He has back to back promotions with Southampton and proved that he didn’t need billions of £’s to get a good team together. He will need financial backing in Leeds as there are many areas that need strengthening, but I think that no matter who comes in he’ll need to be backed, not even Guardiola or Morten Olsen could get promoted with our current team.

The second guy mentioned is former Leeds assistant Gus Poyet, a guy who I never understood why people are so desperate to get back, what exactly was it he achieved at Leeds? All I remember was him and Wise managing to get a pretty good Leeds team relegated and then him fucking off when London called for him, not to be a manager or an assistant, but to be a translator for Juande Ramos, a complete joke.

One of my fondest ER memories include Poyet however, I was sat close to the visitors’ dugout when we played Brighton in Feb 2010, and some guy behind me started shouthing; “Poyet, Poyet!!” When Gus turned around the guy screamed; “You f****** Chelsea reject” haha now that was fun! And by far the best thing I remember Poyet for. Poyet has managed to get a League One promotion and then not much else, he’s keeping Brighton in the Championsship and it’s only fair to say they’re doing quite well, but I think that with the money he’s spending he should be able to do better than he is.

The last guy who has been mentioned, more and more since he left Swindon yesterday is Paolo Di Canio. They say you should never mix sports and politics and that is very much true in this case, I can’t bare to see a dedicated facist manage my favorite football team, I really can’t, I’d hate every second of that. I know there was published a article a few days ago where Di Canio spoke among other things about politics, but it won’t change my view on him though (Article is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html).

But like I said, don’t mix sports and politics so now I’ll tell why I don’t want him from a footballing perspective.  

Every manager needs to start somewhere but I can’t really see how a manager with experience from League 1&2 can step up and manage a club like Leeds United, with the massive expectations and constant pressure from fans and media. We need a guy who has been through it all, much like Neil Warnock, but safe to say that this marriage is a bit unhappy only 12 months in. Di Canio is known to be controversial; I can only see him and Leeds United end in tears, probably during a fight with Diouf, fans or something like that.

I’ll be the first to admit that I might be colored by his personality when I judge him, but either way I really can’t see him take the step up from Swindon to Leeds.

So dear GFH Capital, get Adkins in, show ambition and show the fans what your plans with Leeds United are, we’re all more than happy to give you another year before you deliever a promotion, but I think most people would like to know what you intentions are and how you see the future of OUR club.

Oh, and this picture should say more than a thousand words on why Di Canio is all sorts of wrong for us (or for anyone imo).

No comments:

Post a Comment