Friday, August 23, 2013

Leeds fans and the excessive use of the word legend

Leeds fans are a passionate bunch and that's one of the things I like most in us, but sometimes some fans just get a bit carried away.

The last weeks have seen Ross McCormack heavily linked with Middlesbrough and this have made Twitter into a very strange place, people are tweeting the owners threatening to stop coming to ER if Ross is sold and demanding that David Haigh instantly gives Ross a new deal, a few things is wrong with that, first he'd be a pretty shitty businessman if he conducted his business on Twitter or took advice from any of us on there and two why say you'd not come to ER if Ross leaves, is he the one player to EVER be bigger then the shirt? Surely not.

Of other Twitter highlights there have been people stating they'd cry for weeks if Ross left and the classic "He's a Leeds United legend", fuck me.. We have fallen very very far if a player after 2½ years of Championship football s considered a Leeds legend, but I've realised in my two years on Twitter that it seems a Leeds legend is an easy thing to become in some fans eyes, for me there's only a few though and the latest one I'd consider calling a Leeds legend is Lucas Radebe. To call a player from our last seven or eight years a legend is, in my eyes, laughable, we might have had a few heroes in those years, Andy Hughes, David Prutton, Snoddy and Becchio, but legends no, not in my eyes.

Furthermore if Ross is sold, I think he'll go because Brian McDermott has a plan and another signing or two lined up, so I don't fear for the future even if "Leeds legend" Ross McCormack should leave the club.

The future is bright, the future is white.

And for those who can't remember what a real Leeds legend looks like, it's something like this;

 

1 comment: